Coronavirus Update NYC: Public schools set to reopen Monday for in-person learning

EW YORK CITY (WABC) — As public school students return to the classrooms Monday, New York City must provide accommodations to staff with medical conditions or religious beliefs that preclude them from getting a COVID vaccine.

That decision was handed down Friday by an arbitrator and is a setback for Mayor Bill de Blasio
As of now, there’s no vaccine mandate for students.

The city says the school district is stocked with personal protective equipment supplies to make sure everyone’s protected.

There will also be biweekly covid testing in every school.

Schools Chancellor Meisha Porter spoke to us about getting classrooms up and running again.

“The best learning that happens, happens in-person between students and teachers,” Porter said. “We have over 500,000 devices that are WiFi and LTE-enabled in our students’ hands, but again we’re going to follow the science, we’re going to follow the advice of our medical partners. What I’d never do is I would never put any child in a place I wouldn’t put my own. So, we’re family.”

Under the Vax to School program, students ages 12 and up can get their first dose of the vaccine during the first week of school and get their second dose in October.

Every public school student — in elementary, middle, high school and District 75 schools — will be back in their classrooms for full in-person learning. No remote or hybrid option will be available during the school year.

t will mark the first time that all 1 million public school students across the five boroughs will be back to campus since COVID-19 shuttered school buildings in March 2020.

In an effort to prepare students, families, and school staff, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Meisha Porter unveiled a 13-page handbook outlining the policies and procedures that families can expect to see this year.

“We’re publishing a guide, which is going to help parents [and] families all over the city know how this new school year is going to go,” de Blasio said. “All of these things together, layer upon layer upon layer, are going to keep school communities safe and keep our kids safe.”